Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Insomnia

You would be amazed at how alert you can be without sleep. The first day is hell, your brain is processing at full speed, but the remainder of your organs seem to lag behind a few seconds. You stare at something but fail to comprehend what it is you are staring at. Because of this I had not eaten the first few days of my sleepless cycle. When I tried to stalk my scat covered, furry, rodent prey, he scurried away before I processed the thought of catching him.
This is my fifth straight day without sleep. Or maybe my sixth, I can't remember. When you live in a sewer long enough you begin to adapt a slight brain hiccup due to the dark cloud of methane that you inhale with each breath. People often wonder why I choose to live in such harsh conditions and why I let methane gradually decimate my neurological connections. I usually respond by conveying the fact that methane is the least of my worries; my thoughts are most cruel to my body. Johnathan Swift once stated, "Of all life's dangers, I find my thoughts to be the most hazardous." My thoughts are responsible for my insomnia, my antisocial personality disorder, and they are the sole reason that I am living in this sewer. But I can't rid myself from them. I am like a parent of an infant who is constantly irked by the child's untactful commands and unnecessary din but is attached to the kid and can't repel the non diminishing agitation. My thoughts are like an addiction--or an invasive disease or rather like wisteria that never ceases to subjugate until it has devoured my whole life. And it has started by taking away what I covet most in my shit-filled life (no pun intended)---SLEEP!
I need food and sleep. I haven't seen my furry friends in almost a week. I haven't heard the dreadful cacophony they create with their tiny mouths, nor have I smelt the horrid stench they let out from bathing in feces. For this reason, I decided to travel down the west tunnel, to find some food. Bringing only my stool boots, and striking rock I set out on my adventure to find the despicable sewer creatures. It only took me 350 yards to find my prey. Under the first man hole on Rouse Blv. I found my creature. He wasn't as hairy as my normal prey, nor did he possess the same stature. He was taller and stood erect rather than on all fours. He walked with more of a smooth stroll rather than the usual repulsive scurry of my former prey. I licked my lips anticipating the soft tender skin and incredible taste of my new entree. With each stroke of my tongue, I thought of the satisfaction and nourishment he would bring me. The very thought of the pabulum elated me. But I would have to devise a strategy in order to catch this cunning beast. Sun Tzu once said, "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles." Therefore I must befriend Felix, my fellow sewer dweller, in order to kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment